GEWar

Go Back   GEWar > General Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion about topics not related to GEWar

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Luke is full of ideas
Administrator

Liked 1,669 Times in 888 Posts
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl
Movie Reviews

So seen a new movie?
Tell us in short what you think about it and rate it 1-10(1 being the worst ofcourse), and try to judge it from all points of views and not just your own(example if you are a horrorfan, and you like Scream 3, then imagine not all agree ).

I'll kick it off.

Tonight Amy came over and we watched 1408. The new movie based on a short book by Stephen King.
The story is pretty cliché, but the trailer looked interesting.
It's about a writer that goes to spooky places to write about it in his books.
He hears about room 1408 in the Dolphin hotel in New York. Supposedly 65 people died there. Nobody lasted longer than an hour.
Not allowing anyone in the room, the writer had to force the owner by getting an attorney.
He is let in there and as you can expect, soon after the spooky stuff starts.

Bad points: lots of cliché...like blood from the wall...ghosts suddenly in the mirror... shock effects that don't really shock you...an extreme boring start to the movie and a pretty bad first half...

Good points: if you make it through the first half, you are in for pretty good entertainment, and I'm a movie addict and used to a lot. While the first half was very predictable, you think you can predict the second half also. Fortunately I couldn't predict it, especially the ending. Near the end of the movie I was finally drawn into the movie, so it could still give me some satisfaction.

Overall: Don't expect a Green Mile type of movie here, one that will last in your memory, or a sixth sense thriller. This is your basic ghostroom story with a twist, and could be a cousin of the Shining perhaps. If you're looking for nice entertainment without having to think too much, then you'd be well at your place with this.

Hey I should become a movie-reviewer .

But honestly, I'd like to hear reviews from other movies as well...as being a movie-addict and we are always looking for new films but when not a lot around you are addicts as well, it's pretty hard to find a good movie sometimes.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Suicidal is glad to be back!
Admiral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
But honestly, I'd like to hear reviews from other movies as well...as being a movie-addict and we are always looking for new films but when not a lot around you are addicts as well, it's pretty hard to find a good movie sometimes.
I have no time, but I can quickly recommend Dead Man's Shoes. It's independent, unpredictable storyline, nice scenery, brilliant acting from the whole cast, and a very un-hollywood feel like most good independant cinema. I loved it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
Hey I should become a movie-reviewer .
Go for it!

Is my score supposed to go up when I click here?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Luke is full of ideas
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal
Go for it!
Luke is a good name for a reviewer right?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:31 AM
AnotherConservative is playing EVE
Supreme Commander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No time or patience for a review, just go rent Children of Men. Best movie I have ever seen, hands down.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Luke is full of ideas
Administrator

Not the best movie I've ever seen, but I really liked Children of Men. Thought it was an outstanding film.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:40 AM
dumblaws3 has no status
Grunt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dumblaws3
Alright so I got a movie about a half a year ago for my birthday and just opened it a coupld days ago. I've seen it about 4 times since.

The movie is called "Oldboy" and it's in Korea.
It's about a man named Oh Dae-su. He's a heavy drinker, and the movie starts off with him at the police station, waiting for his friend to bail him out so he can be with his daughter on his birthday.

They stop at a phone booth, and while his friend is taking to Oh Dae-su's angry wife, he's kidnapped by a man with a purple umbrella.

For 15 years he's imprisoned in a privately owned prison and he's not told why. He spends his time watching t.v, working out, and carving through the brick wall with metal chopsticks.

Then, just as he breaks through, they release him, unexpectedly. They give im a bunch of yen and a cell phone. He goes to a resturaunt where he meets a girl, Mi-du, who lets him stay at her house.

Ofcourse then, he meets the man that put him in that room all that time. He doesn't recognize him, but he's got 5 days to figure out how he knows this guy and why he did this to him, before the man kills Mi-du.

And then the fun starts. The movie is filled with violence using unconventional weapons, like broke CD's and 16 ounce hammers, and a little bit of sex, even though its only partial nudity.

But trust me, the end will shock you. The general reaction is "what the f***".

So go watch this movie, and be prepared to be disturbed.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 AM
dumblaws3 has no status
Grunt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dumblaws3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherConservative
No time or patience for a review, just go rent Children of Men. Best movie I have ever seen, hands down.

I loved Children of Men. The ending was surprisingly moving, even though i'm not the sentimental type.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:18 AM
helo is not playing anymore
Supreme Commander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to helo
Oldboy is one screwed up movie. I knew I had seen it a a year or so ago, but I had to look it up and read the overview though.

Kind of a sick movie, but the plot seems similar to the game / book Thirteen.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Generic42 has no status
Commander-in-chief

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to Generic42
Just saw Balls of Fury...

Kinda funny... mainly just unexpected event (like a little girl punching a guy in the balls after losing) after another to make a sort of "what's next?" humor.

It really draws on you not seeing the joke coming, and I've got to say, some parts had me laughing out loud.

But it just wasn't continuous humor with too many slow parts and stupid jokes.

Worth the $9 at the theater, but I won't be seeing again until hit hits TBS on Sunday at 9 if you get what I mean.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Luke is full of ideas
Administrator

Just saw The Invisible.
Now there's a movie finally.
The start may have you wondering if it's a weird teen movie, but after about 15 minutes the suspense starts and the thrill will keep you glued to the tv until the end(and after...trust me).
A boy gets beaten up in the forest by some fellow schoolmates(who run a gang) for suspicion of snitching on them. When they realise they've kicked him to death, they hide his body.
He arrives at school the next day and doesn't realise nobody can see or hear him.
When he does realise it, he also comes to the conclusion that he only sees other spirits of those that are dying...not those that are actually death. Meaning he's not dead yet.
While he is trying to find a way to communicate to the living, 2 detectives are also fighting time to find him and his (presumed) killer(s).

It is a suspense thriller. The suspense in it is awesome.
The acting is great and appealing. Original storyline. I wasn't expecting it from a ghostmovie, but then again....this IS from the producers of Sixth Sense.
But what got me most was the music...
So:
Story: 8
Acting: 8,5
Music: 9
Suspense: 8,5
Originality: 8
Camerawork: 7
Overall: 8 (finally a movie worth my time).

Last edited by Luke; 09-28-2007 at 09:55 PM.