What am I doing? - GEWar
GEWar

Go Back   GEWar > Blogs > Luke

Rate this Entry

What am I doing?

Submit "What am I doing?" to Digg Submit "What am I doing?" to del.icio.us Submit "What am I doing?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What am I doing?" to Google Submit "What am I doing?" to Blinklist
Posted 04-22-2011 at 02:32 PM by Luke

A lot of players said they wanted to be updated. Because no news makes some think nothing is being done.

Though I disagree with that way of thinking, I noticed I do it myself too on other websites.

Most know that lately I had problems with our development server. It has been completely reinstalled, and therefor it can be used for developments again. First thing will be army splitting.

However I've put it on hold the last 2 weeks because I desperately once and for all want a major problem to be solved. That is the slowdowns here.

I've tested a lot on different configurations(as noticed by some as I have to reboot the server) and taken all other domains offline from this server. Now installing monitoring software. Got some hints from the provider as well as to what the problem could be.

Basically throughout gewar history we've always had this problem. Well even Mickey had the problem. And there must be a solution. A quicker server worked a little bit, but not enough.

To me solving the problem of slowdowns has become the nr1 priority. All else is less important because nothing is more frustrating than having to wait 30-45 seconds for a page to load sometimes.

So thats my update for now. After 2 weeks I finally have a feeling we're getting closer to the problem. I don't need to have a lightningfast game, but I don't want to say time out errors anymore or having to wait a ridiculous long time for the page to load. I think for new players this could also be another reason to quit if their first encounter with gewar is a game that runs really slow sometimes.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 63629 Comments 28 Edit Tags
« I'm back     Main
Total Comments 28

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Thanx for the update Luke, I think most around here know that you are always up to something but there's a few that needs to read it. The slow server is a little frustrating, specially because we moved servers already but I'm sure you'll have a fix for it soon
  2. Old Comment
    Luke, thanks for the update. Good luck with tracking down the reason(s) for slowdown.
  3. Old Comment
    Well one has been found already. On the forum, I disabled the 'whos online on pirate poker'. It waited until it received an answer from the pirate poker website before loading the forum page. Same goes for the amount of doubloons in forum posts in the memberbit.
  4. Old Comment
    Is it already improving?
  5. Old Comment
    let me observe how gewar behaves at the full hours.
  6. Old Comment
    Don't take what happened tonight(servertime) into account. It was a total different technical problem of some sort that kinda took the server offline for several hours(with some spots of minutes of being online, and then some minutes offline again).
  7. Old Comment
    still the same problem during the day till now, Luke. Sometimes offline, server not reachable, then it works again.
  8. Old Comment
    I noticed. This morning (servertime) it seemed fixed, but started again a few hours ago. Emailed the provider again.
  9. Old Comment
    Just had another slowdown for a minute or so at about 20:09 server time.

Good luck with finding the root cause man.
    Posted 04-25-2011 at 06:17 PM by RagingMongoose RagingMongoose is offline
  10. Old Comment
    That also could be me rebooting the server. I'm trying to find out if it's the server, or the connection. Uptil now no succes in changing anything on the server, so that means it's more likely the connection is the problem.

But again it seems today there is nobody anymore at the provider. Can understand that because it's Easter.

I do have to think of myself though. If this continues for a few more days, I'm going to another company with another server this week. Not because of the service of this provider(as they did help us a lot through the years), but because I need the problem solved asap.
  11. Old Comment
    If it helps, and I'm not sure it will, from my perspective there are two types of "lag".

The first is where the site is just slow to respond. The browser continues to show it's loading the page, however it can take 10-60 seconds. This to me indicates the server/domain is contactable, however it is slow to respond to requests.

The second type is where the site just seems to disappear and the browser gives a "page cannot be found" or "gewar.net does not exist" response, normally fairly quickly and within 15-20 seconds. This to me indicates that the server/domain are entirely unavailable. Whilst some of these may have been due to reboots, this type of lag has occurred multiple times in succession, sometimes where the site becomes available again before then not loading again just a minute or two later. It can also occasionally occur (e.g. 5-6 times) within a period of say 1-2 hours.

Over our time on the new server, these types of lag have shown themselves at all different times, with varying frequency and lengths of time they're experienced for. I've also confirmed with other players on Xfire that it's not just me experiencing the issue, and whenever I've had the opportunity to confirm in this way then the lag always affects all. This includes players from Europe, Africa, South America, and the US/Canada.

Not sure if that's any help like I said, but thought it was worth mentioning.
    Posted 04-26-2011 at 07:44 AM by RagingMongoose RagingMongoose is offline
    Updated 04-26-2011 at 07:53 AM by RagingMongoose
  12. Old Comment
    I agree. I've noticed the 2 different kinds. The second type is definately a technical failure of some sort.

The first one is the most common one to me, and the one I'm trying to solve first. We did make progress as pages load faster already(for me atleast).

The second type hasn't occured to me today. *knocking on knock off wood*. And hope it is then solved as well.
  13. Old Comment
    I'll soon be moving gewar to a new server. Not within 2 weeks, because then I'll just be paying for 2 servers at the same time.

Looking around but think I found a good quad core server at another provider.

This server is fast for me now, but still every day has it's extreme slowdowns and I have no idea where it is happening, and neither does the provider.

It will mean eventually that the server will be down for about 24 hours. I'll update you when it's almost that time. Looking into the question if I will update the forum software at the same time also.
  14. Old Comment
    Thanks for the heads up Luke.
  15. Old Comment
    It was always planned to reset the game the beginning of July.

So I guess I'll take that date to switch servers also.

Mid-game it might become messy. During the switch, half the players would switch to the new server immediately while half would still be on the old server.

We now have a double core server(better than our single core previously) and I'm going for a good quad-core I found. If the game would still run slow on that, then a higher power is against us .
  16. Old Comment
    would it be possible that amies are invissible when they move ?
    - at Google Earth view
    - at city view

sure it should cost somethng to make armies invissble, not to much I guess....

the fun would be great
  17. Old Comment
    The biggest coincidence was that I was pondering that idea myself yesterday. And I didn't know why. I think because I read the thread 'private armies' even though that is about something completely different.

But it would need recoding. a KML file then only has to show armies tagged in the database with 'visible' and same counts for the city view. This would mean that the owner also can't see his armies in google earth, as all players share the same army-file(otherwise the server would crash).
  18. Old Comment
    hmmm..should be enough to watch your army on the army page, if possible..so you know when it arrived.....smile
  19. Old Comment
    In my opinion, the game would lose thrill if you wouldn't see your enemy's armies moving in any more. You would just see that there are suddenly armies outside your city. Also, imagine a player doing hit-run, the defender would have difficulties to find the large army and kill it.

And: if you make moving armies invisible the interception of armies (which is on the wish list for ages) makes no sense any more.
  20. Old Comment
    So a reset and server move will all happen in one, when it happens?